Well its been three months since I have cut the cord so I figured I would give you an update.
First, my cord is still cut!! I am still happy with the choice. I have made some service changes, equipment changes and modifications which I will outline.
- DirecTV came out with their live streaming service, DirecTV Now, at the end of 2016. They had a intro special to sign up for their “Go Big” package for $35/month and get a free AppleTV with a 3 month commitment. So basically I got a $150 device for $105 plus the service. No brainer. The “Go Big” package has 100+ channels. The service was very bad to start, but has since become alot more stable. That being said I just cancelled my $40/month Sling service and will stay with DirecTV Now.
- Originally I had purchased two HD over-the-air antennas for the free local service. They were approx $40 each and I had one connected to two of my TVs. I was getting 6 channels with those, the three major channels except CBS. Then I was wondering about my other two TVs. Buy more antennas??? UGH! No, instead I purchased this external antenna, ViewTV VT-0958A Digital Amplified Outdoor Antenna I mounted this on my roof and then ran a coax back to the outside cable box on my house. This then connects to all my internal coax wiring in my house so all I need to do is connect the TV into any coax jack and I will get the signal. I needed to use the supplied amplifier with the antenna and now I have 26 free over-the-air channels, HD quality and now I have CBS!! Ready for March Craziness!!
- I bought these for my AppleTV remotes and I love them.
- I was able to watch the SuperBowl!! The game was on Fox which I get for free on my antenna AND it was streamed for free with the FOX Sports app on the AppleTV.
So, here’s where I’m at:
- Outdoor antenna, $32 – Gets me 26 channels, including all the locals and major broadcast stations to any TV in my house.
- 3 AppleTVs – 1 free with DirecTV Now
- DirecTV Now – $35/month
- Hulu – $8/month
My monthly cost for television service now is $43/month. Right now the only downfall has been DVR capabilities. DirecTV Now has said they will be adding that feature in the future.